Spring Creek Homesteading Fund is selling hand-printed calendars for 2016 as a fundraiser to support the workshops and other programs run by Spring Creek Homesteading Fund.
This 12 month calendar features original Lino-cut images printed at Owl & Turtle Press by Katherine Watt. The calendars are $20 each. These would make great holiday gifts and your dollars do double duty by helping Spring Creek Homesteading Fund accomplish its mission and supporting Owl & Turtle Press, a new local business.
Orders will be taken until December 1. Calendars will be available for pick-up on December 15. Payment by cash or check is due at the time of pick-up.
For more information or to place an order send an email or call (814)237-0996.
Homesteader Dan Pytel will teach a class titled “Homesteading 101” on December 2 from 6 – 9 pm at South Hills School of Business School and Technology in State College.
The class will cover topics including:
- What is homesteading? How to think about self-reliance and how it will work for you.
- How to get started. Different approaches to starting and where to get more information.
- Gardening and seeds. Getting plants and seeds, how to start them and grow them. Soil and composting.
- Fruit and nuts. Basics of growing fruits, berries and nuts.
- Living off the land. Tapping trees, mushroom cultivation, lay of the land and water.
- Preserving and storing food. Canning, freezing, drying and fermenting your food including sauerkraut, pickles, wine making, and hard cider.
- The Birds and the Bees. Basics of keeping poultry and bees.
- Group discussion on areas of interest. Networking.
There is a $35 registration fee. For more information and to register, please visit the South Hills website.
If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to make sourdough bread, this is your chance. Professional baker Lisa Hershey will teach a workshop about starting and maintaining stiff sourdough on December 12 starting at 2 pm.
This will be a hands-on workshop and participants will have the chance to take home some sourdough starter.
The workshop will be held at Goldenrod Alley Farm, 156 West Hamilton Ave, State College, PA. There is a $12 sliding scale registration fee. For more information or to register, call Josh at (814)237-0996 or send us an email.
In addition to keeping track of Spring Creek Homesteading Fund on this blog, you can now like us on Facebook.
Come learn the basics of making your own delicious and nutritious homemade yogurt and granola.
Josh Lambert will teach a workshop on Saturday, December 5th from 1 – 3 pm. The workshop will cover some background on lactic acid fermentation and the yogurt making process, provide some simple recipes and tips, and give participants the opportunity and materials to make their own batch of granola.
The workshop will take place at Goldenrod Alley Farm, 156 West Hamilton Ave, State College, PA. There is a $12 sliding scale registration fee.
For more information and to register send us an email or call (814)237-0996
The Makery (209 West Calder Way, State College) has a number of up-coming events and classes where you can develop your artistic skills and make unique holiday gifts in a variety of different media.
Classes include: Holiday Mommy + Me Jewelry, Basic Earrings, Adult Fused Glass, Youth Drawing, and more.
For more information and to register, visit their website or send them an email.