Spring Creek Homesteading Fall 2016 Cooking Workshops
Chicken Fricassee with Fall Vegetables, Butternut Squash Curry & More!
- Cooking One Dish Fall Dinners with Laura Zaino
- Saturday, November 12, 2016 – 10 a.m. to noon
- Church of the Good Shepherd, 867 Grays Woods Blvd, Port Matilda, PA 16870
Corn-Kale-Potato Pie & More!
- Baking Savory Pies with Melanie Rosenberger
- Saturday, November 12, 2016 – 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Church of the Good Shepherd, 867 Grays Woods Blvd, Port Matilda, PA 16870
How to Register
Each class costs $20, to cover instructor teaching fees, kitchen rental fees, and supplies, and includes samples of the cooked dishes at the end of each class, and printed recipe packets.
Reservations are accepted by telephone and paper check. (Spring Creek Homesteading does not have a merchant account to process online payments.)
To reserve your spot, please call Spring Creek Homesteading Fund at 814-237-0996, and send your check registration fee for $20 payable to “Spring Creek Homesteading Fund” to: Spring Creek Homesteading Fund, 156 West Hamilton Ave., State College PA 16801.
Questions? Call 237-0996 or email Program Manager Katherine Watt.
About Your Instructors
Laura Zaino – Laura is a farmer at Zaino’s Specialty Farm, and a cook who enjoys focusing on using seasonal ingredients. She learned cooking in Pennsylvania and honed her skills in Europe while studying agriculture. She has cooked locally at the Penn Stater’s Gardens Restaurant, Legends Bar, and catering division, and also at Sult and Hukkoden, two highly-rated restaurants in Oslo, Norway. Laura has a degree in Environmental Resource Management from Penn State, with a specialization in biology and ecology, and a Masters in Management of Natural Resources and Sustainable Agriculture from the University of Life Sciences in Oslo.
Melanie Rosenberger – Melanie received her BFA in Fine Arts from Penn State, worked at several local restaurants, and then moved to New York City to study Culinary Arts at the International Culinary Center (formerly the French Culinary Institute.) She worked at Perilla in Greenwich Village and Miller’s Tavern in Brooklyn, as well as Great Performances and Peter Callahan catering firms before returning to Central Pennsylvania. She is currently the manager of the Friends & Farmers Online Market.
Liability insurance coverage is available for instructors who teach workshops. Contact Board President Joshua Lambert for more info.
OTHER CENTRAL PA WORKSHOP ORGANIZERS & COMMUNITY CALENDARS
- State College Area School District Community Education Courses (Cooking, Woodworking, Pottery, etc. – SCASD Community Education Coordinator Donna Ricketts.)
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute Courses (Cooking, Baking, Cheese-making, etc.)
- South Hills Business School – Knowledge Kafe (Cooking, Gardening, etc.)
- Centre Region Parks & Recreation Nature Workshops
- PASA Farming Workshops
- PSU Master Gardeners Workshops
- Penn State Cooperative Extension Sustainable Agriculture Workshops
- Penn State Cooperative Extension Centre County Workshops
- PA-Women’s Agricultural Network Workshops
- StateCollege.com Community Calendar
- Voices of Central PA Community Calendar
- Centre Daily Times Community Calendar
2011 Workshops & Handouts
- Nov. 1 – Household Composting with Alexa Schriempf – Composting Basics
- Nov. 2 & 16 – Knitting a Scarf with Anne Burgevin
- Nov. 5 – Canning Applesauce with Josh Lambert – Canning Fruit
- Nov. 6 – Baking Bread with Ruth Sauder – Basic Bread Recipe
- Nov. 12 – Cooking Seasonal Local Produce, Gujarati Style, with Sunil Patel – Indian Cooking Basics
2012 Workshops & Handouts
- Feb. 4 – Cooking Winter Soups & Stews with LaCreta Holland – Cooking Winter Soups and Stews
- Feb. 5 – Making Yogurt & Granola with Nynke Vanderburg – Yogurt & Granola
- Feb. 5 – Making Mittens & Scarves from Old Wool Sweaters with Cindy Grosso – Mittens & Scarf Instructions
- Feb. 4 & 18 – Home Beer Brewing with Ryan Elias – Basic Homebrewing
- Feb. 11 – Making Lip Balms & Salves with Stephanie Hertel –
- Feb. 12 – Making Cold Frames with Joshua Lambert –
- Feb. 15 Making Sauerkraut – Vegetable Lactofermentation with Scott DiLoreto and Matt Sullenberger – Lactofermentation
- Feb. 18 – Worm Composting with Justin Eleazer – Red Worm Composting
- Feb. 18 – Restoring Old Fruit Trees with Jackie Bonomo – Fruit Tree Pruning
- Feb. 25 – Making Homemade Pasta & Authentic Italian Red Sauce with Delali Agawu and Anne Burgevin
- April 1 – Heritage Seed Saving & Seed Starts with Ingrid Fowles, Brian Burger, Matt Sullenberger & Ian Gardner – Intro to Seed Saving
- April 14 – Soap-Making with Nellie Bhattarai
- April 14 – Making Solar Collectors for Solar Hot Water with Dean Fenton
- April 15 – Building and Lasagna Mulching Raised Beds with Jackie Bonomo – Layered (Lasagna) Mulching
- April 21 – Making Ravioli with Delali Agawu & Anne Burgevin
- April 22 – Altering Secondhand Clothes with Anne Burgevin
- April 28 – Herbal Tinctures & Oil Infusions with Stephanie Hertel –
- May 6 – Backyard Chickens Part 1: Care & Feeding with Sarah Potter – Chicken Care & Feeding; Raising Fowl in Urban Areas
- May 13 – Weaving Potholders with Mary Lambert –
- May 13 – Canning Strawberry Jam with Josh Lambert – Canning Fruit
- May 19 – Hands-on Beekeeping with Mary Jo Lenzing and Sylvia Feldman – Resources: Brushy Mountain Bee Farm, near Lewisburg.
- May 26 – Backyard Chickens Part 2: Building a Coop with Sarah and Josh Potter
- May 26 – Introduction to Hugelkultur with Jackie Bonomo –
- June 23 & July 7 – Beginner Home Beer Brewing with Josh Lambert – Basic Homebrewing
- July 14 – Cold Summer Soups with LaCreta Holland
- July 14 & 21 – Advanced Home Beer Brewing with Ryan Elias & Dustin Kennedy (Building a Mash Tun; All Grain Brewing)
- July 15 – Beginner Wild Edible Plant Identification with Stephanie Hertel – Wild Edibles Handout; Wild Edibles Instructor Report
- July 15 – Introduction to Magic: The Gathering with Ed Lambert
- July 21 – Whole Animal Butchering with Steve Bookbinder
- July 22 – Beginner Dungeons and Dragons (Character Creation) with Ed Lambert
- July 22 – Cooking with Greens with Dorothy Blair
- Aug. 4 – Fruits, Berries & Herbs – Use & Winter Storage with LaCreta Holland – Fruits, Berries & Herbs
- Aug. 5 – Clay Oven Building & Bread Baking with Dana Stuchul & Chris Uhl
- Aug. 11 – Everything Corn! Chowder, Salsa, Roasted…with LaCreta Holland
- Aug. 12 – Building a Rain Barrel with Josh Lambert – WSU Rain Barrel Instructions; Rain Barrel Parts List
- Aug. 25 – Everything Tomatoes! Tarts, Soups, Salsa, Roasted…with LaCreta Holland – Everything Tomatoes!
- Oct. 13, 2012 – Home Cheese-Making with Adam Seitz – Cheesemaking Handout
- Nov. 10 – Home Sausage-Making with Steve Bookbinder
- Dec. 1 – Beginner Meditation
2013 Workshops & Handouts
- Jan. 12 – Healing Herbs for Topical Use/Making Homemade Lotions with Stephanie Hertel – Herbal Lotions Handout
- Jan. 19 AND February 2 – Beginner Beer Brewing, Racking and Bottling, with Josh Lambert – Basic Homebrewing
- Jan. 19 – Creating Herbal Concoctions: Honeys, Elixirs, and Syrups, with Stephanie Hertel – Honeys & Syrups Handout
- Jan. 26 – Building a Top Bar Bee Hive with Matt Poese and Josh Lambert
- Feb. 9 – Making Sauerkraut – Vegetable Lactofermentation with Scott DiLoreto and Matt Sullenberger – Lactofermentation
- Feb. 16 – Milk Jug Greenhouses with Justin Wheeler – Milk Jug Sowing
- Feb. 17 – Basic Bicycle Maintenance with Justin Wagner
- March 23 – Heritage Seed Saving with Ingrid Fowles, Matt Sullenberger & Ian Gardner – Intro to Seed Saving
- April 6 – From Science to Salsa: Tomatoes with Matt Sullenberger
- April 20 – Planting Backyard Fruit & Nut Trees & Shrubs with Scott Diloreto, Emily Zink and Jennie Diehl – Backyard Fruit & Nut Trees & Shrubs; Backyard Fruits and Nuts (PowerPoint slides)
- June 1 – Planting Pollinator Gardens & Native Bee Conservation with Justin Wheeler
- June 22 – Common Weeds of Central PA and Non-Herbicide Strategies for Management with Elina Snyder Workshop Handout – Weed Management
- August 3 – PCO FarmFest Homesteaders Series. Cover Cropping with Gene Bazan; Pollinator Gardening with Justin Wheeler; Canning Summer Fruits with Josh Lambert; Backyard Chickens with Nellie Bhattarai – Backyard Chickens Handout; Harris Township Chicken Ordinance 2.2012
- August 10 – Butchering 101 with Steve Bookbinder
- October 19 – Root Cellaring with Jason Lilley
- January 18 – Making Sauerkraut with Scott DiLoreto and Anne Quinn Corr.
- January 25 – Brewing Beer with Josh Lambert
- February 8 – Beer Bottling with Josh Lambert
- February 21 – Maple Sugaring with Jason Lilley
- February 22 – Pruning Fruit Trees with Jackie Bonomo
- February 22 – Growing Peppers in Your Garden with Matt Sullenberger
- March 1 – Soap Making with Nellie Bhattarai
- March 8 – Seed Exchange and Milk Jug Mini-Greenhouse Workshop with Matt Sullenberger and Justin Wheeler.
- March 15 – Bread Baking with Nellie Bhattarai
- April 5 – Growing Tomatoes with Matt Sullenberger
- April 13 – Hugelkultur Build Demonstration with Jason Lilley
- April 26 – Shiitake Mushroom Workshop with Jason Lilley
- May 10 – Backyard Laying Hens Workshop with Leslie Pillen
- June 7 – Building a Solar Hot Water Heater with Johan Zwart
- August 2 – 2014 PCO FarmFest Homesteaders Series: Enjoying Backyard Honeybees with Sylvia Feldman; Backyard Composting with Alexa Schriempf; Fermentation as Food Preservation with Scott DiLoreto; Cold Frames as Season Extenders with Joshua Lambert
- November 9 – Cooking with Root Vegetables with Laura Zaino
- January 25 – Soapmaking with Nellie Bhattarai
- January 31 – Winter Seasonal Cooking with Laura Zaino
- February 7 – Milk Jug Greenhouses with Justin Wheeler
- March 22 – All About Peppers with Matt Sullenberger
- April 11 – All About Tomatoes with Matt Sullenberger
- August 8 – 2015 PCO FarmFest Homesteaders Series: Food Preservation Without Canning with Joshua Lambert; Home Mushroom Production with Garrett Morrison; Permaculture as an Approach to Homestead-Level Food Production with Jackie Bonomo; and Organic Meat Processing and Sales with Jay Young of Spring Mill’s Rising Spring Meats, a PCO-certified organic meat processor
- September 18 – Sheet-Composting/Mulching Workshop with Jackie Bonomo
- December 5 – Yogurt and Granola with Joshua Lambert
- December 12 – Sourdough Bread with Lisa Hershey
- February 20 – Winter Seasonal Cooking with Laura Zaino.
- February 27 – Linoleum Cut Printmaking with Katherine Watt
- Februar 28 & March 13 – Introductory Beer Brewing with Joshua Lambert
- July 30 – 2016 PCO FarmFest Homesteaders Series. Food Fermentation: Homemade Sauerkraut and Dill Pickles with Scott DiLoreto; Homecanning: Tips, Techniques and Recipes for Keeping the Summer Around with Joshua Lambert; Backyard Chickens: A Beginners’ Guide to Getting Fresh Eggs from the Backyard with Joshua Lambert; Summer Harvest Cooking: Using Local In-Season Abundance with Laura Zaino.
- November 12 – Chicken Fricassee with Fall Vegetables, Butternut Squash Curry & More! with Laura Zaino
- November 12 – Corn-Kale-Potato Pie & More! with Melanie Rosenberger