We didn’t have enough households interested in Monday’s potluck to make it worth people’s time preparing dishes and coming out, so it’s cancelled. Reducing the scheduling to quarterly for the rest of the year, we’ll have an Autumn Potluck on Thursday, September 20 and a Winter Potluck on Tuesday, December 11.
Now open for registration by phone (237-0996) or email.
- Beginner Home Beer Brewing with Josh Lambert – Part 1 – Brewing with Malt Extract; Saturday, June 23 – 10 a.m. to noon – 156 West Hamilton Ave.
- Beginner Home Beer Brewing Part 2 – Racking and Bottling; Saturday, July 7 – 10 a.m. to noon at 156 West Hamilton Ave.
- Cold Summer Soups with LaCreta Holland; Saturday, July 14 – 9 a.m. to noon at Friends Meeting House
- Advanced Home Beer Brewing with Ryan Elias and Dustin Kennedy – Part 1 – Building a Mash Tun. Saturday, July 14 – 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. – 156 West Hamilton Ave. PREREQUISITE – Beginner Home Beer Brewing or instructor’s permission. (To take home a mash tun, you’ll need to purchase and bring supplies. Otherwise, you’ll participate in building a sample.)
- Beginner Wild Edible Plant Identification with Stephanie Hertel; Sunday, July 15 – 9 a.m. to noon at Greenmoore Gardens Farm
- Introduction to Magic: the Gathering with Ed Lambert (Non-Electric Entertainment); Sunday July 15 – 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Friends Meeting House
- Whole Animal Butchering with Steve Bookbinder; Saturday, July 21 – 9 a.m. to noon at PSU Meats Lab (Porter Road & Park Ave.) NOTE: The course requires a small fee to cover the meat purchase cost, and includes meat cuts to take home.
- Advanced Home Beer Brewing Part 2 – All Grain Brewing; Saturday, July 21 – 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at 156 West Hamilton Ave. PREREQUISITE – Beginner Home Beer Brewing or instructor’s permission.
- Beginner Dungeons & Dragons: Character Creation with Ed Lambert (Non-Electric Entertainment); Sunday, July 22 – 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at 156 West Hamilton Ave.
- Cooking with Greens with Dorothy Blair; Sunday, July 22 – 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. – Friends Meeting House
- Fruits, Berries and Herbs – Use & Winter Storage with LaCreta Holland; Saturday, August 4 – 9 a.m. to noon – Friends Meeting House
- Clay Oven Building and Bread Baking with Dana Stuchul and Chris Uhl; Sunday, August 5 – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. – South Pugh St.
- Everything Corn! Chowder, Salsa, Roasted…with LaCreta Holland; Saturday, August 11 –9 a.m. to noon – Friends Meeting House
- Building a Rain Barrel System with Josh Lambert; Sunday, August 12 – 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. – 156 West Hamilton Ave.
- Everything Tomato! Tarts, Soups, Salsa, Roasted…with LaCreta Holland; Saturday, August 25 – 9 a.m. to noon – Friends Meeting House
Next Friends & Farmers Co-op Meeting – Wednesday
The steering committee of the Friends & Farmers Cooperative grocery store will meet Wednesday, June 20, at 7 p.m. at Webster’s Bookstore Cafe, to continue work on legal incorporation, bylaws, marketing & membership planning, and more. Please email Sarah Potter if you’re interested in joining the co-op team.
1. Go over and approve minutes from previous meeting
2. Share updates and new findings ( 30 min)
- Logo Status – Carolyne
- Meeting with SCORE volunteer – Maureen
- Farm Fest – Dee
- Collaboration sites pros and cons- Elizabeth
- Report on conversation with a consultant, Ben Sandel, from CDS- Elizabeth
- Introduce the need for finance officer and consider assigning a temporary officer
3. Split into committees (Legal/Finance and Membership) for Research/Work- please bring printed materials to review or a device to share to look up information from our To-Do Lists. (1 hour)
- Education- Gather a list of local co-op’s and other general documents that could help advertise and educate people about Cooperatives for Farm Fest
- Start defining F&F membership: benefits/package, framing the pitch, membership goal,
- Look at Bylaw samples and discuss wording/changes
- Officers/BOD timeline- Who/ How? and get this reveiwed by SCORE consultant
- Look at Financial planning (bank account where? with whom?) (seed money- looking for sources of capital-grants (USDA rural grants and Keystone Development Center)
- Create a list of questions to ask a finance consultant and the SCORE consultant.
Upcoming co-op meetings:
- July 11 – 7 p.m. at Webster’s
- July 18 – 7 p.m. – Potluck Meeting at Greenmoore Gardens Community Supported Kitchen, hosted by Mark Maloney
- August 1 – 7 p.m. at Webster’s
- August 15 – 7 p.m. at Webster’s
Next Friends Meeting House Community Garden Work Day – Sunday
Help Wanted! Fence installation and gate-hanging at the Friends Meeting House on Sunday, June 24 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Bring workgloves…we’ll be digging two more post holes, hammering fence stakes, unrolling 240 linear feat of 4-foot wire fence and – weather permitting – pouring concrete to set four gate posts (for two gates) and hanging the gates.