Farmers Market Today
The Winter State College Farmers Market is open today from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the State College Borough Building, 243 S. Allen St. (Every Friday, now through April 27.)
Cooking, Brewing, Making Mittens & Yogurt – Handouts
The instructors for last weekend’s reskilling workshops prepared instructions and recipes, posted below and (soon) at the Workshops page.
- Cooking Winter Soups and Stews – LaCreta Holland
- Yogurt & Granola – Nynke Vanderburg
- Mittens & Scarf Instructions – Cindy Grosso
- Basic Homebrewing – Ryan Elias
I’m looking for referrals to local architects who might be interested in doing rough elevations, floor plans and project outlines for converting the top level of the 2-3 story McAllister Street parking deck to an indoor food marketplace with tons of natural light, grocery store, teaching kitchen and cafe. There are no official plans to actually do this project – I just want a way to better visualize what it might be like to have such a place in the heart of downtown. Please call (237-0996) or email (email@example.com) with referrals. Also interested in finding a local bricklayer to teach a reskilling workshop in May or August. – KW
Ethics of Food Security – Lecture Monday at Penn State
Feb. 13 at 3:00 p.m. in Foster Auditorium, Paterno Library. Bryan L. McDonald, Assistant Professor of Science, Technology, and Society, presents “The Ethics of Food Security.” Part of the Rock Ethics Institute’s Food Ethics 2011/2012 lecture series. PSU.Live Article
News from Way Fruit Farm in Port Matilda:
A new year has brought lots of new happenings and products to our farm store! Join us for…
- A very “Berry February!” We’ve decided to shake off the winter weather and have a taste of summer by celebrating Berry month in February. Stop in the farm store, bakery and cafe to enjoy lots of berry items such as assorted berry preserves, raspberry salsa, blackberry pie filling, cranberry chutney, strawberry mustard and more! Our bakery will offer: fresh-baked blackberry, blueberry and raspberry pies by the slice for lunch or take a whole one home to share, blueberry muffins, blackberry thumbprint cookies and more! On Saturdays in February, our cafe will offer from-scratch french toast and pancakes piled high with blueberries or blackberry topping and crowned with whipped cream. We hope you’ll come on in and enjoy some sweetness with us and have a “berry” good winter!
- New local food items to savor! We have begun working with some great, local vendors to stock our shelves with some unique & delicious products. Browse around to find: Mario’s sauces & salad dressings (from State College these are Dantes Group Restaurants signature line), Daves Specialty Sauces with sweet & spicy BBQ & hot sauces & preserves, Burnt Cabin Mills assorted flours and pancake/waffle mixes and an ever-expanding line of Tait Farm Foods products including shrubs, chutneys, fruit butters, conserves and mustard…
- Our own apples and apple cider! Still available, whether you like sweet or tart. We hope you’ll be able to find a favorite, healthy snack. We currently have available: Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Jonagold, McIntosh, Ida Red and Granny Smith. Also, the cider is still flowing and the oranges(CA) and grapefruit(FL) have been sweet & juicy!
- Homemade soup & sandwiches in our Way Cafe daily! We are open year-round and are serving lunch and dinner Monday-Saturday. We offer from-scratch soups, assorted quiche & stromboli options daily, fresh salads, made-to-order sandwiches and more! Don’t forget to join us every Saturday(8am-1pm) for a from-scratch breakfast that will wake you up and never leaves you asking for more! Our menu starts with local bacon, sausage & ham, from scratch pancakes & French toast, made-to-order omelettes, fresh-baked donuts, sticky buns, fresh-brewed coffee, our own hot cider and just keeps going. We hope to serve you soon!
- Our Hours: Monday – Friday 8am – 6:30pm; Saturday 8am – 5pm; Closed Sunday
NYT Story Link from Tim Robinson
Mindful Eating as Food for Thought – New York Times piece by Jeff Gordiner:
“…Mindful eating is not a diet, or about giving up anything at all. It’s about experiencing food more intensely — especially the pleasure of it…”
PSU Sustainable Ag Working Group Newsletter from Charlie White
Sustainable Ag News – Winter 2012 – Volume 9, Issue 1
- March 2, 2012 – Value-Added Small Grains Production and Marketing; 9:00 – 4:00 pm; Columbia County Ag Center, Bloomsburg, PA. More details.
- March 23, 2012 – “Regional Food Systems in a State Context: An Opportunity for Land Grants to Engage.” By Dr. Michael W. Hamm. 2:30 – 3:30 pm; 215 Armsby Building, University Park, PA. More details.
Russell Frank writing at StateCollege.com
We’ve Got to Get Ourselves Back to the Garden: “…Think of how much lawn can be turned to ag-educational use here at University Park. Every college or department could have its own plot. The English Department could plant a Shakespeare garden. The historians could grow heirloom vegetables. The anthropologists could use their knowledge of ethnobotany to raise medicinal plants…”
Reminder – It’s CSA Sign-up Season
Midwinter is when many area Community Supported Agriculture farms start signing up members for the upcoming season. Below are links to local CSAs – many have drop points in State College. Updates, corrections & additions welcome!
- Greenmoore Gardens, Port Matilda, PA – Sunil Patel & Crew
- Tait Farm Community Harvest, Centre Hall, PA – Erin McKinney & Crew
- Jade Family Farm, Port Royal, PA – John Eisenstein & Family
- Howard’s End CSA Farm, Howard, PA – Addison Hoffman, Joshua Brock & Crew
- Groundwork Farms CSA and Buying Club, Millheim, PA – Nell Hanssen & participating farmers
- Fallywalker Farm, Spring Mills, PA – Casey Grove & Michele Alman
- Village Acres, Mifflintown, PA – Roy & Hope Brubaker
- Full Circle Farms, Spring Mills PA – Sabina Carey & Family
- Eden View Organics, Tyrone PA – Eric & Cindy Noel
- Clan Stewart Farm, Huntingdon, PA – Linda & Terry Moist
- Plowshare Produce, Huntingdon, PA – Micah & Bethany Spicher Schonberg
- Healthy Harvest Farm, Bellefonte PA – Dave Sandy & Sara Eckert.