Ruth Parrish Sauder (below, in red apron) sharing her dad’s bread recipe with Nynke van der Burg and her son (above) on Sunday afternoon at the Friends Meetinghouse.
Jay Parrish’s Bread Recipe:
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- white bread flour (about 3 cups)
- whole wheat flour (about 3 cups)
- Combine the warm water and yeast, sprinkle with a little flour and let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine the honey, olive oil/butter, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the water/yeast mixture.
- Add flour – half white and half wheat – until the dough is no longer sticky (about 3 cups of each).
- Knead dough in the bowl, cover and let rise until double in bulk.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Divide dough in half, and pat into two greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 min or until golden brown and hollow-sounding when tapped.
Other workshops this week:
- Beginner Knitting – Wed. Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. at Anne Burgevin’s house
- Organic Beekeeping (Part 1 of 2) – Thurs. Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. at the Friends Meetinghouse (611 E. Prospect Ave.)
- Cooking Seasonal Local Produce – Sat., Nov. 12 at 10 a.m. at the Friends Meetinghouse (611 E. Prospect Ave.)
- Household Composting – Sunday, Nov. 13 at 10 a.m. at 156 W. Hamilton Ave.
- Sign up by calling 237-0996 or emailing email@example.com.