PASA & Buy Fresh Buy Local News:
- July 23 – Energy Innovations & Organic Farming Workshop – Slide show.
- July 28 – Mushroom workshop – Slide show.
- Updated Farmers Guide to Processing and Selling Meat or Poultry
- Note from Ted Palada at PASA: “Each year, the Pennsylvania Historical Marker program chooses a theme. In 2012 the theme will be Foodways and nominations are being accepted. For more information visit the PA Historical Marker Program.”
- Now – August 13 – Dine Fresh Dine Local PASA Fundraiser at Harrison’s: Harrison’s Wine Grill & Catering is a quintessential Buy Fresh Buy Local® partner and long time PASA supporter. Now Harrison’s is going one step further by donating 20% of each guest check before taxes and gratuity to PASA between Sunday, July 31–Saturday, August 13. Bring this flyer or mention intended support for PASA or BFBL to your server when you pay your check to ensure proper credit to PASA. There is no limit to the number of times you can participate dine in or carry out (excluding catering).
- Aug. 6 – Central PA Farm Tour – 12:30 p.m. – 5 p.m. – Get your passes early to speed up your tour – we’ll be out at our Partner farmers markets this week. While you’re there, pick up a hat, shirt, bag or bumper sticker to show your local food pride! Friday, August 5th – Downtown State College Farmers Market; Saturday, August 6th – Millheim Farmers Market *open all day* and a great place to start your tour with the Penns Valley Learning Garden!
- Aug. 6 – Tait Farm will teach you what you need to know about Making Gifts from the Garden on Saturday, August 6 from 10 – 11am. Please RSVP.
- Aug. 6 – “Garden Insects: The Good, the Bad, and the Beautiful” presented by Diane Matthews-Gehringer, B.S. & M.S. Entomology
at Skoloff Valley Farm in Susquehanna County. In this workshop we will become familiar with the insects that are commonly found in our eastern Pennsylvania gardens, learning about their life cycles, what they eat, who they eat, how to safely manage or discourage the “bad,” encourage the “good,” and admire the “beautiful.” RSVP to Stephanie Roberts at (570) 727-3046 or email@example.com
- Aug. 10, 22, 29, 30 – Understanding Legal Issues Related to Marcellus Shale (Aug. 10 – Allegheny Co.; Aug. 22 – Greene Co.; Aug. 29 – Jefferson Co.; Aug. 30 – McKean Co.)
- Aug. 11 – Reaching Out from the Farm: Education & the Raw Milk Dairy (Meadville, Crawford Co.)
- Aug. 13 – Planning for Conservation & Profit: Developing Diversified Farms & Connecting to Local Resources, Information & Assistance through the NRCS (Crawford Co.)
- Aug. 16 – 18 – Ag Progress Days (Rock Springs) – “PASA will once again be hosting an informational booth could use some member volunteers to help us staff the booth all three days. Volunteering is easy; for more details contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aug. 22 – Hands-on Specialized Equipment for Vegetable Production (Emmaus, Lehigh Co.)
- Aug. 25 – Sept. 1 – Centre County Grange Fair (Centre Hall)
- Aug. 26 – Niche Farming in Diverse Times: The Role of Kunekune Pigs on a New Livestock Farm (West Providence, Bedford Co.)
- Aug. 31 – On-farm Poultry Processing: From Hands-on Processing to Planning & Exemptions (Mifflinburg, Union Co.)
- Sept. 10 & 17 – 5th Annual Buy Fresh Buy Local Western PA Farm Tour – Sign your farm up now to host a stop! Two tours are featured during our celebration of Local Food Month this year: Sept. 10 – Northwest Tour; Sept. – Southwest Tour
- Sept. 24 – Biodiesel Operation, Farm Tour & Potluck (Mifflinburg, Union Co.)
- Sept. 25 – 4th Annual Bike Fresh Bike Local (Dowingtown, Chester Co.)
- Oct. 18 – Planning for Conservation & Profit: Developing Diversified Farms & Connecting to Local Resources, Information & Assistance through the NRCS (Thompson, Susquehanna Co.)
- Oct. 29 – Organic Apple Production Workshop & Potluck (Biglerville, Adams Co.)