- DCNR Grant for Galbraith Gap conservation: “ClearWater Conservancy has been awarded a $350,000 state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources grant for the purchase and permanent conservation of 152 acres of land in the Galbraith Gap area of Harris Township, Centre County.” More info.
- The Fishery of Spring Creek: A Watershed Under Siege, a new report on Spring Creek by PA Fish & Boat Commission – “In this bulletin, we trace the history of the Spring Creek fishery, attempt to relate changes in the fishery to human activities, and look ahead to potential threats with the hope that this highly valued resource can be conserved through informed decision making by local and state agencies.”
- May 14 – Bald Eagle Birding Festival, 3:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. at Bald Eagle State Park (Howard)
- May 15 – Bellefonte’s Big Spring Festival, noon – 4 pm at Talleyrand Park
- June 18 – Summer Solstice Celebration: Sustaining Local Farms, Food, and Art, benefit for Centre County Farmland Trust, 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Tait Farm in Centre Hall. Highlights include Local Restaurants featuring the RSA (Restaurant Supported Agriculture) friends of Tait Farm’s CSA; Artists at Work – The Farmland Preservation Artists will be on site displaying their art and will “paint out” in various locales on the farm; Art Exhibit and Sale by the Farmland Preservation Artists (FPA)…An outdoor and indoor gallery exhibit for attendees to view and purchase the varying talent and perspectives portraying the natural beauty of rural landscape, local farming and agricultural products; Hands-on Children and Adult Art Activities; Hayrides; On-site Farmers Market; Information stations about the sponsoring organizations (Centre County Farmland Trust, Farmland Preservation Artists of Central PA, Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture, WPSU’s Local Food Journey Blog, and ClearWater Conservancy).
- July 22-24 – Prowl the Sproul Hiking Weekend – The Keystone Trails Association will host the 8th Annual Prowl the Sproul hiking weekend July 22 to 24 in the Sproul State Forest of western Clinton County. Hikers will be able to explore new and exciting parts of the Sproul that are only seen when hiking with a DCNR guide. The Sproul contains some of the most rugged and remote forestland in Pennsylvania. Guided hikes organized by the DCNR are scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday; guides will share their insider knowledge of the trails while they lead hikers off the beaten path to explore the hidden jewels of the Sproul State Forest. The Western Clinton Sportsmen’s Association will be our host for the weekend with camping and meal packages available. Enjoy a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere in close proximity to the area’s many trails. For more information and registration information contact KTA at 717-238-7017, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or online.
- AmeriCorps Environmental Stewards Summer Intern – Temporary full-time position supporting ClearWater Conservancy’s Riparian Conservation Program. Responsibilities will include riparian buffer planning, maintenance, and data collection, GIS mapping, invasive species management and monitoring, and plant propagation.
- Riparian Field Technician – Part-time position supporting ClearWater Conservancy’s Riparian Conservation Program from June – September 2011. Responsibilities will include riparian buffer planning, maintenance, and data collection, GIS mapping, invasive species management and monitoring, and plant propagation.
- Volunteers needed for two events June 18 (Spring Creek Family Festival and the Strides for Nature 5K and Kids Fun Run); a second representative on the quarterly Millbrook Marsh Nature Center Advisory Committee; the planning team for this year’s Wild & Scenic Environmental Film Festival in September; attending community events with a ClearWater display and materials.To pitch in, contact Chris at 814-237-0400 or email@example.com.