From Charlie White at Penn State – Sustainable Agriculture Working Group:
Introduction to Organic Vegetable Production presented by Penn State Extension
Dates: May 14, 28, Jun11, July 9, Aug 13, Sept 10, 2011; Time: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Location: The Seed Farm, Lehigh County; Facilitator: Tianna DuPont
Designed for aspiring and new organic vegetable producers, this course will cover soil preparation, seeding, transplanting, weed and pest management. Emphasis on hands-on instruction and farm planning will give you a full toolbox as you start or refine your farm.
The objective of this course is to introduce aspiring and new vegetable producers to diverse production strategies and provide a framework for effective farm production planning.
Who should attend?
- People planning to make the leap from vegetable gardening to production for profit.
- Beginning organic vegetable producers who are ready to refine their techniques in order to optimize their production and profit.
We will cover
- Soil Preparation
- Weed Control
- Insect Management
- Disease Management
What to expect:
- Presentations by Penn State Extension Educators and experienced farmers.
- Film presentation of weed control and other techniques.
- Interactive discussions.
- Field trips to The Seed Farm, Lehigh County’s agricultural business incubator and local organic vegetable farms.
- Hands-on experience trying new techniques and tools appropriate for both small and large farms.
- A detailed notebook containing production information for each production topic.
- CD containing planning tools, including succession planting and crop rotation.
Cost $100 for all six sessions ($75 for apprentices) Includes three books! Register online today! Not into online registration? Download the course brochure and registration form, print it out and mail it in with your payment by check. For More Information and registration visit our website or contact Tianna DuPont, Penn State Extension—Northampton and Lehigh County by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (610) 746-1970.
The Seed Farm is an agricultural incubator project supported by the County of Lehigh in Southeastern Pennsylvania. The mission of the Seed Farm is to start and grow new sustainable farms and farmers and to support the development of a vibrant local food system.