Today’s Boalsburg Farmers Market
(From Jim Eisenstein)
This will be a wonderful week to visit the Boalsburg Farmers Market, open from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the PA Military Museum with Richard Sleigh providing music from 4:00 to 5:30.
- Wild for Salmon will be back for the first time since last April with its new supply of Alaska Wild Caught sockeye salmon products.
- You can obtain turkey from Bill Calahan, of Cow-A-Hen Farm but you need to call him at 570-966-2678 to place an order.
- Tamarack Farms will soon bring its spicy chorizo lamb sausage.
- In the cheese department, Clover Creek is bringing two new products, its pirate Bleu Smokin Rodeo and Smokin Horseradish, Stone Meadow a camembert and Taleggio, and Byler Goat Diary its new chocolate fudge.
- Gaffron’s Bakery will feature sticky buns and quiche, and Gemelli’s its usual assortment of breads plus oven based pizza and tacos.
- Fasta Pasta always has a nice selection of fresh made pasta.
- Patchwork Farm will have raspberries (come early) and
- Way Fruit Farm its first apples.
- Pipers Peck will sell four kinds of fresh hot peppers plus chipotle.
- Soap Sprite now has a refreshing eucalyptus-mint blend soap.
- Bee Kind Winery will have a number of its wine available for tasting and purchase.
The “vegetable bonanza” will feature (among other things):
- fresh corn from Ardry Farms;
- parsley, lemon grass, basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, sorrel, and mint plus purple tomatoes from Littlefield Farms;
- Mothersbaugh Farm’s kabocha squash;
- Beiler Family Farm’s celery (and maple syrup);
- new lettuce, yellow and green beans, and spinach from Clan Stewart;
- from Jade Family Farm, radishes, kale, bok choi, peppers, lettuce, and tomatoes; and
- salad mix from Eden View, which will also have sprouted pita bread and stuffed pepper soup.
Today’s Downtown State College Farmers Market
(From Betsy Green)
The Tuesday State College market is open today from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Locust Lane. Vendor features include:
- Moser’s Produce: Featuring Fall Red Raspberries and specialty melons – many new varieties each week.
- Fasta & Ravioli: NEW Egg Fettuccini and Crab Ravioli
- Hidden Hollow Farms: NEW Fruit Pies
- Green Acre Farm: NEW Yams. We also now have pumpkins, spaghetti squash, honey and beeswax candles.
- Sweet Heat: NEW Salsa Verde made with grilled corn from Green Acres Farm and smoked onions from Clan Stewart Farm.
- Bell and Whistle: NEW This week’s gelato flavor is Salted Carmel. Also carrying gluten free and vegan baked goods.
- Spring Bank Acres: Large amounts of Sweet Basil available for making pesto. Also available – Cinnamon and Thai Basil
- Sweet Root Orchard: NEW McIntosh apples added to our selection.
- Dn’D Farms: NEW Chicken and turkey (whole, halves, legs, thighs, boneless skinless breast.)
- Red Hawk Premium Peppers: NEW “B3” - 3rd place winner at 2012 Zest Fest – thick, medium heat hot sauce combining Bhut Jolokia pepper w/berries and bananas. Use on pork or grilled chicken.
- Egg Hill Gardens: Beautiful Vates & Red Russian Kale. Also, baby mustard greens now available. And, as always, plenty of fresh cut flowers for you to create your own bouquet.