LaCreta Holland of Happy Valley Learn to Cook is offering a series of four cooking classes through the State College Area School District Community Education program. Course info on page 8 of the Fall 2012 Course Schedule. All classes meet from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in Room 357 at Park Forest Middle School. Cost is $25 per class, $90 for the series. Register by phone (231-1062), fax (231-1087), walk-in or mail-in (411 South Fraser St. weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) using the form on page 15 of the schedule.
- Tuesday, October 23 – Fall into Soups and Breads – Make three soups (butternut squash and corn soup, parsnip soup, or cheeseburger soup) and “as you like it” bread that will satisfy your sweet or savory taste buds!
- Tuesday, October 30 – “Not So Scary” Recipes – Prepare for Halloween, including meal in a pumpkin and shortbread candy bars (using all that leftover chocolate you might have).
- Tuesday, November 6 – Thanksgiving Specials – Create special holiday salads such as brussels sprout salad and roasted beet salad with cheese crisps (to lighten up the mashed potatoes and stuffing) and an alternative to pumpkin pie: sweet potato pound cake!
- Tuesday, November 13 – Be Prepared for the Holidays – Make-ahead casseroles and desserts such as chicken, sausage and wild rice casserole for quick meals and “easy to make toffee” for gift giving.
Recipes from LaCreta’s Summer 2012 Spring Creek Homesteading workshops are online here:
- A Culinary Excursion - Savor the flavors of France, Italy, and Greece in three very delectable cooking experiences. Learn to prepare gourmet European cuisine in an hour from preparation to serving and dine leisurely enjoying your efforts. Instructor: Anne Hutcheson is well-seasoned, well-traveled, and well-versed in preparing fine food. Anne and Lynn Hutcheson will be your instructive hosts. Location: Instructor’s Home in State College (address will appear on receipt) Course Number 13129SC – Three Sessions: Mondays, 10/1/2012-10/15/2012 11:00AM-2:00PM Course Fee: $38 includes $8 for food
- A Pain*full Experience - With the inviting aroma of baked bread filling the bakery, Tony will teach the process of creating sourdough, provide some history of the baking craft, and tempt you with some samples of his wares. Instructor: Tony Sapia is the owner of Gemelli Bakers in downtown State College. In October 2008, Tony won the California Raisin Market Board competition for the best raisin bread in America. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY, Tony spent 1.5 years in Italy perfecting his art. Location: Gemelli Bakers, Main Entrance, 129 South Pugh Street, State College Please note: The entrance for Gemelli is near McAllister Parking Deck. 13130SC – One Session: Monday, 10/1/2012 10:00AM-12:30PM Course Fee: $12 includes $2 for food OR 13131SC – One Session: Monday, 10/1/2012 2:00-4:30PM Course Fee: $12 includes $2 for food
- Simple Savory Cooking - Tired of take out? Preparing delicious food for one (or two) is a challenge we will address in this interactive session. We will discuss easy and fun strategies for healthy, tasty dining at home while we prepare and sample a few creations. Exercise gear recommended as students will be on their feet to participate. Instructor: Amy Lorek Dattilo is a Research and Outreach Associate for the Center for Healthy Aging at Penn State. She is also a chef and baker experienced in preparing food for a few. 13132LH - Location: Liberty Hill, Great Room, 411 Beacon Circle, Boalsburg One Session: Wednesday, 9/26/2012 2:00-4:00PM - Course Fee: $18 includes $8 for food and supplies.
- Foods in Historical Periods: The Early “White” House - Explore the history and culture of the early years of the presidency of the United States. Attend a levee with the Washingtons, a New Year’s Day reception with the Adamses, a tete-a-tete with Jefferson and a drawing room with the Madisons. Instructors: Evelyn and Dale Landon enjoy food history and gourmet cooking. 13133SC Location: State College Friends Meeting House, Kitchen, 611 East Prospect Avenue, State College Three Sessions: Thursdays, 10/4/2012, 10/18/2012, and 11/1/2012 1:00-3:00PM Course Fee: $45 includes $15 for food
- Pain* Management - Five aspiring bakers who have taken Tony’s Pain*full Experience will enjoy a hands-on session from mixing the dough, through the stages of proofing, shaping and finally baking. Tony will teach the shaping secrets of artisan bakers and send you home to dazzle your family and friends. Prerequisite: Pain*full Experience. Instructor: Tony Sapia - 13134SC Location: Gemelli Bakers, Main Entrance, 129 South Pugh Street, State College Please note: The entrance for Gemelli is near McAllister Parking Deck. One Session: Wednesday, 10/3/2012 8:00AM-Noon Course Fee: $15 includes $5 for food
- Cheesemaking, Tasting, Pairing and Farm Tour - This course gives a broad overview of cheesemaking along with how to age cheese in cheese caves. Learn how to evaluate 10 different cheeses and what to look for. Experience pairing cheeses with several different foods. Also, you will have an opportunity to tour a working Amish dairy farm. Instructor: John Esh has eleven years experience marketing cheese to wineries and cheese shops. 713135B - Location: Instructor’s Home in Howard (address will appear on receipt) One Session: Thursday, 10/4/2012 1:30-3:30PM Course Fee: $12 includes $2 for handouts
More Local Cooking Programs: